Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sometimes I feel...

I talked to a friend last night, and she said this post made her head hurt, and that she had to read each line twice. She told me I should write a post and just use one beat words so she could grasp it. It called to my mind the bet Seuss made with one of his friends, to wit: he (Seuss) could write a whole book – that made sense – and use no more than ten times five words. The book? Green Eggs and Ham, which has just one less than ten times five words.

As I try to write this, I see how hard it is to stick to small words, and the flow of each line is cramped. Small words are good for verse, but not so much for prose. It sounds bad, it’s hard to read, so this is as far as I will take it. Hope that will do, Red.


In other, multisyllabic, news, not even a week after I complain about boring newspaper writers, ABC news carried a story online today about a man that allegedly exposed himself to his (male) neighbor during an altercation. The writer included this gem: “Noting an ongoing issue between the two, the officer suggested the two might want to consider a threesome with a mediator.” Sadly, the site has updated the story to read: “Noting an ongoing issue between the two, the officer suggested the two might want to consider a mediator to resolve their differences.” Oh well; back to boring.


I saw on the Washington Post site where D.C. will be getting a slice of the bailout money. Why? To pay for the inauguration. The city is estimating a cost of $47 million, and was only given a third of that by Congress. Bush used a post-Katrina reform that allows the President to pre-designate areas that could become disasters.

I swear, the jokes just write themselves sometimes.


Speaking of disasters in the making, Reuters reports: “Chinese food and drug makers struggling in a declining economy could be tempted to cut corners and ignore quality standards, a senior Chinese official warned as the country awaits court verdicts in a tainted milk scandal.”

So much for my trips to Wal Mart. Of course, the first thing I thought of when reading “tainted milk” was this:

Get this widget Track details eSnips Social DNA

No comments: