Saturday, January 3, 2009

So Keep the Kiddies at Home

I knew it already, but it's nice to get confirmation.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

These results are based entirely on the words I use, of course. I said at the very beginning that I cuss a lot. Obviously, this is just a silly little thing meant to pass the time, but it illustrates up a point: Words really have no power in and of themselves – it’s always the intent behind them that determines their impact.

Context is important, too. FOX announced recently that it was developing a new dramedy called Bitches. It’s going to be similar to Sex and the City, but the female leads will be werewolves. I know the producers think they’re doing some sort of clever contextual end-run around the FCC (See…‘bitch’ is a term for a female wolf, so it’s not cussing, it’s zoology!), but you call female wolves she-wolves, not bitches, so they’re just cussing.

I don’t care what they call it, though; I’m watching it. I love werewolves, and will watch anything lycanthropic – no matter how awful it is. I’ve seen Full Eclipse three times, for Pete’s sake.

My top werewolf films are (in no particular order):

An American Werewolf in London
The Ginger Snaps trilogy
Dog Soldiers
The Company of Wolves
The Howling

I’m happy with the writer, Michael Dougherty, who wrote X2 and Trick-r-Treat, and the Executive Producers also produced Pushing Daisies, so it seems like a good crew to helm the thing. I am curious about the casting, though. The only TV actresses I can name off the top of my head are Olivia Wilde (Thirteen on House), Amanda Tapping (Magnus on Sanctuary), and Mariska Hargitay (Detective Benson on Law & Order: SVU). I could accept any of them as Manhattan socialites, but I think only Wilde would make a good werewolf. Hey, as long as they don’t cast Sarah Jessica Parker, I’m good. Lycanthropes are carnivores, SJ.

Photobucket
Why the long face?


If they could persuade some screen actresses to sign up, that’d be cool. Gina Gershon would make a good were, as would Carla Gugino. Christina Ricci deserves another shot since Cursed…was.

With vampires having gotten a lot of media time this past year, I’m looking forward to some equal exposure for the shapeshifters. The remake of The Wolf Man will be fun (I can’t understand Benicio del Toro anyway, so he may as well just growl), and maybe we’ll finally get to see the Lycans kick so much vampire arse in Underworld 3. They’re so obviously the superior species (the train assault in part one), it annoys me that the vamps are presented as the “ruling class” in that series. Especially since most of them are whiny, pseudo-Goth Eurotrash vamps.

So remember, kids: if you want to be on an NC-17 blog, use ‘fuck’ correctly. If you want to be on Fox, use ‘bitches’ incorrectly. And if you want to be on Sarah Jessica Parker, either be Matthew Broderick or bring a sugar lump.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the most terrible picture of her I've ever seen. But... oh wait... she's the one on the left. I gotcha. Still. Bad Bad Bad photo.