Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Judge not...


So what I’m gathering from headlines on the fluffy entertainment sites is that Miss California was but one step away from being the next Miss USA, until she happened to voice an opinion that differed from a gay judge’s. Is that about right?

Let’s set aside the question of whether she was punished for her position on gay marriage. Let’s not worry if this marks the end of her pageant career. I think the most relevant question is:

Who the fuck decided that a gay man would make a good judge for a tits-n-ass contest?

When I heard that Perez Hilton was the judge in question, I immediately thought of this exchange from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang:

Harry Lockhart: So…still gay?
Gay Perry: Me? No. I’m knee-deep in pussy. I just like the name so much, I can’t get rid of it.

I don’t know who decided that gay men were the experts on all things feminine (though I suspect the Bravo Network had something to do with it), but when you really look at that assertion, it’s fucking ridiculous. If you want to attract a straight man, whose advice would you follow? Lance Bass’ or Salma Hayek’s?

Admittedly, gay men have an advantage when it comes to fashion, because they’re in key positions in that industry already. But fashion isn’t really for women, anyway. I know I’m not the first one to state that today’s models look more like adolescent boys than adult women. I know not to mix plaids with stripes, and to make sure the important bits are covered. After that, I don’t really give a shit.

I’ve also noticed that gay men to adopt the worst character traits of women, in that they tend to be shrill, cutting, and venomous (Perez has apparently shared his expert opinion on his blog that Miss California is a bitch). Is that who you want to be getting advice from on how to comport yourself?

So there you have it, gentle readers. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided that this young woman


should be judged by this sterling arbiter of good taste, healthy living, and fashion know-how


1 comment:

Elle said...

I think shrill, cutting and venomous is a human trait. I've known men who sulk, pout, whine, and manipulate. One in particular comes to mind. A conversation with him was very much like listening to a cheap chain saw cutting into metal. Yarr!

But anyway, whatever happened on the Miss America pageant is no concern of mine but I am surprised that the venue attracted your rapt attention.

Or am I?

I've never heard of Perez Hilton before. I thought they were talking about Paris Hilton.

Miss California did have some difficulties formulating her sentences. And who is Perez Hilton?

I can't tell the difference between gay and straight men anymore. You just can't really know. I think all men have gay potential, some just suppress it more than others and some flaunt it (see guy in pink wig @ your blog).

You're quite possibly gay yourself. I'm not judging. I'm just saying it's difficult to know from just looking.

:)