Sunday, April 19, 2009

Font Snobbery


My last couple of projects were as concerned with Graphic Design as they were with copywriting, so I’ve been studying up on typography in general, and the underlying logic of font choice in particular.

I’ve complained before about the overwhelming use of Papyrus, and I’ve found I’m not alone in that.
http://esotericappeal.typepad.com/papyrus/

Today, I ran across an article about the creator of Comic Sans, who wishes people would just stop. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992364819927171.html

Then there’s the growing backlash against Trajan.






No matter which font you mention, it will have its lovers and haters, but I think most people that bother to have an informed opinion will agree that it’s the indiscriminate use of a particular font that gets under their skin. There are thousands of fonts out there, and no need to use the same one for everything. Jokerman may tickle you personally, but you don’t send out your company newsletter in it. Similarly, putting large blocks of text in Blackadder ITC should be a capital offense.

If you can’t explain exactly why a certain font (or combination of fonts) should be used, don’t just randomly grab a “cute” font from Word’s menu; stick with the basics. A sans serif for short blocks of text or headlines, a serif for large blocks of text, a monospace if you’re programming or doing a lot of column work.

You can be as avant-garde as you want in your personal notebook, but if you send an e-mail in LINES,


you will end up on the “blocked senders” list.



And here’s something else I wish I’d made:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766