Saturday, March 21, 2009

HTM-Hell

Here’s the question of the day, faithful readers:

How do you tell someone their website sucks pond water?

There’s a member of the family that owns his own business, and of course, has a website to promote it. I went to look at the site out of curiosity, and was blown away by how terrible it was. I mean, here’s a guy whose business depends on meticulous attention to detail and state-of-the-art components, and his site looks like it was thrown together by randomly picking items from the “Fun Extras!” menu in Front Page. Seriously, it looks like something you’d put together for your Intro to Websites class in middle school.

No, I won't give you a link.

I so want to go to him and say “Dude…you’re a member of the family and I love you, but you’re making us all look bad. Let me fix this for you.”

How do you do that without causing major family friction?

I’m thinking of having a web designer I know just go ahead and put something together. I’d do the copy and redesign his logo (which is also shudder-inducing), then just give it to him as a gift.

I dunno. Could go either way. Much more thinking required.

No comments: