Friday, March 27, 2009

Anti M! Ante M!

I've noticed in a lot of Italian restaurants, they try to impress you by printing the names of the courses in Italian. I always get tripped up when I see "Antipasta" instead of "Antepasta."

I looked it up, and several dictionaries claim that either version is correct, but they're wrong; they're two completely different prefixes.

"Anti" means "against" or "opposed to." Now, some people may actually be against pasta in general, but since the owners of Italian restaurants don't expect to number those people as customers, they probably wouldn't name an entire course of the meal after them.

"Ante," by contrast, means "before" or "preceding." Since the dishes listed here are the ones usually served before the main dish - like a salad or soup course - it makes much more sense grammatically.

Mrs. Cat rolls her eyes at me when I start to twitch my tail and mutter at the menu, but I always get her a Hazelnut Cappuccino during dessert, so she just pats my paw and lets me bitch until the breadsticks arrive.

No comments: