Monday, March 30, 2009

How the hell…

did I fuck that up?

So I’m cooking dinner tonight – making breakfast – and am just humming right along: the pancakes are light and golden brown; the biscuits are flaky and steaming; the eggs are fluffy and buttery. In the midst of this culinary coup, I check on the bacon, which was sizzling along nicely…turning that dark reddish brown that signifies perfect crispness is about to be perpetrated.

I bend down to slide the pan of biscuits out of the oven and when I straighten up, the formerly-awesome little slices o’ pig are now baco-cinders billowing grease-laden smoke into the air.

I don’t know if I went to sleep, got temporary amnesia, or one of the kids accidentally hit the Stop Time button on the microwave, but there’s apparently about three minutes I can’t account for, since that’s how long it takes to go from “way crispy” to “activated charcoal.”

I’ve cooked bacon on electric ranges, gas stoves, and open campfires, and have never done that before. On one memorable occasion, I even cooked an entire breakfast on a flat piece of tin over a candle for my Ptomaine merit badge and didn’t burn anything (didn’t eat any of it, either).

I chucked them out the back door, but started wondering: does that increase my carbon footprint because I created some, or does the creation offset my personal output because I’ve replaced it?

No comments: