Tuesday, March 24, 2009

From the Ashes of Childhood

The networks are apparently upset that President Obama keeps interrupting their prime-time schedules (Doesn’t the man know this is sweeps week?).

I wonder if they’d be more upset to learn that I couldn’t name a single show that had been pre-empted.

I didn’t watch the address, because I figure someone will download the TelePrompTer script onto their website by tomorrow morning.

With the national economy in turmoil, the President asking Congress for the power to seize any financial institution, unemployment soaring, stocks falling, and basically the whole situation looking sort of “handcart-ish,” at least we’ve got one thing we can rally around:

The creator of “MacGyver” has a movie production deal.

There is no word yet on who will play Angus MacGyver, or his mullet. I think Richard Dean Anderson could still bust it out if given the chance (the role, not the mullet). I think an older, tougher Mac would work for today’s world. There was way too much smiling going on in the television show. These were secret agents, for Pete’s sake (Get it? Pete? His boss?...Hello?). It’s not known for being a laff-a-minute gig. A solemn Mac would more accurately reflect current geopolitical realities, I think.

The creator of the show, Lee David Zlotoff, recently gave an interview where he hedged on the return of Mac’s ever-present Swiss Army knife. Zlotoff was himself carrying an SAK equipped with a flash drive, and he agreed that it was the kind of thing the new MacGyver would employ, but also stated the Leatherman tools were strong contenders because they had a pliers, whereas the standard SAKs did not.

I think he should carry both, personally, along with the flattened roll of duct tape in his back pocket and his “strike anywhere” matches. As long as he doesn’t carry a gun. That was an unbending rule in Mac’s world, and that needs to stay. I also think they should ignore the temptation of referencing the tired “Nuclear Reactor & the Bubblegum” thing.

There are a lot of ways they could mess this up, but as long as they keep Shia Labeouf away from it, I’ll probably go see it. I’d actually like to see a grittier MacGyver, packed with all of the things they couldn’t show on television.

A thought just occurred to me…MacGyver/Rorschach.

Discuss.

1 comment:

Elle said...

It appeared that Rorschach did not suffer fools. Period.

MacGyver sorta kinda comes off as a bit of a... I think Rorschach would be looking for reasons to put MacGyver out of his misery.

I never watched MacGyver, but I did see him (Richard Dean Anderson) on SNL alongside the parody version, MacGruber.

I didn't realize he MacGyver was a secret agent. I thought he was just a dude in a flannel shirt who kept getting in front of the fan when the shite hit it. Who knew?

Furthermore, you can't do ANYTHING with a paperclip, bubblegum and ducktape. Nothing.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always thought MacGyver was similar to that one show with that one guy (drunk on floor eating hamburger while daughter videotapes the scene, also well loved in Germany, what's his name?) David Hasselhoff! *makes "L" shape with thumb and index finger, places against forehead* And there was a robocar involved, always flying out the back-end of a semi. Not plausible. He lived on a beach with some lifeguards, seems Pamela Anderson was on it?

Can nothing new be considered for television?