Thursday, May 24, 2007

We Don't Need No Education

Found a great blog here called Rate Your Students. http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com/

I stumbled across this gem yesterday, and I really wish I had written it, because it nicely sums up my opinion about most people:

[excerpt]
Dear Students:
The collective attitude you have shown toward reading and writing during the past semester is neither new nor surprising. You are not well-suited to do either. To your credit, you hate ignorance, as I do. To your discredit, you really only hate being shown that you are ignorant, through encountering words and ideas that are foreign to you and your immediate experience. Rather than look them up and learn about them, as is moronically simple these days, you disdain them, and then complain that you do not understand them. This complaint is disingenuous because you show no interest in having them explained.
[end excerpt]

You really ought to go and read the rest, because it’s wonderful. It’s here: http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com/2007/05/may-your-perfidy-ramify-through-your.html

I was hooked by the title, and was actually waving my lighter in the air by the time I finished.

Let me post the opening lines again:

“The collective attitude you have shown toward reading and writing during the past semester is neither new nor surprising. You are not well-suited to do either.”

I do this because I went to look at it today, and found this proof that God has a sense of humor:

[excerpt]
I gaurantee you Ms lecturer, i'll be one of those "stupid" people that write 4 pages worth of comments on your student assessment forms. Bare in mind i have never bothered to write one before. Thanks alot for the semester, a unit that no one will ever remember because you tried to force them too
[end excerpt]

http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-just-had-whinge-and-i-feel-better.html

Someone didn’t need quote marks.

I really wish that comments were enabled on this blog, because I so wanted to correct all of the spelling, grammatical, and editorial mistakes in this entry and repost it. My fervent prayer is that this was written to the student’s English professor. I grouse at my coworkers enough about misusing their native language; I could easily go thermonuclear on a Brit for writing as horribly as any other MySpace TXT-addict.

A warning to all you students out there: Grammar counts. When I was in a position to hire people, I would throw away any résumé with spelling or grammatical errors. I simply didn’t want that person representing me or my company. I saw one cover letter where the applicant actually misspelled the name of his home town. If you can’t take the time to proof the document that supposedly best represents you, you will be a burden on the rest of us. Only when you have proven that you can write correctly will you be allowed to branch out into colloquialisms, dialects and slang.

You feel me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great find. I have bookmarked this blog so that I can be reminded of how stupid people continue to be. I think that the first time a student writes like this in college they should be kicked out of school. They don't deserve to go to college; give them their money back. Or, better yet keep it as compensation for having to put up with them in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this subject. I'm a grammar snob. I look down on people that can't spell or put together a coherent sentence. At the same time, I have to proof my own writing hundreds of times because I have a tendency to make stupid mistakes.

justacoolcat said...

I can't wait to pass this link along. Teachers take the blame for way to much and ironically it's the school administration that is their mouth piece.