Friday, May 15, 2009

Geeks bearing gifts.

Mrs. Cat, being all girly and stuff, gets a number of frou-frou catalogs for things like Bath & Body elixirs and potions, pretty stationery sets, and various clothing and collectibles. She got one recently from a company that offers Victorian reproductions of all of the above, and whiled away an hour or so sitting on the couch, marking those items she’d like to have at such a time as I start treating her in the style to which she’d like to become accustomed.

I picked up the catalog earlier today to sneak a peek at the things she’d noted, thinking that maybe I’d find something with which to surprise her for our upcoming anniversary. I was browsing through it, looking for her distinctive check-marks, and kind of keeping a mental inventory of the types of things she’d picked out.

The Victorian poison ring was checked twice, so this may be the last anniversary I have to worry about it.

In amongst the furnishings and decorative pieces was a table clock. It was done in a sort of caryatid style, where the female figure was holding up the clockworks. It was labeled “Cassandra’s Clock,” which tickled me, because I could picture someone looking at it and commenting “I can’t believe the time!” I can just see the blurb on the ads for it, too:

“Perfectly accurate!”

I shared these observations with a friend who is just as much a Classical reference nerd as I am, and he pointed out that while useful, the Cassandra clock would only be able to be consulted once, and then you’d be compelled to destroy it.

So I’m not getting her that. Seems like a waste of money.

No comments: