Thursday, September 4, 2008

Video Killed the Radio Star

You a Buggles fan? Oh, well.

I decided to try out this fancy “embed” option from YouTube just to highlight a few of my favorite videos.



“Paralyzer” – Finger Eleven

An impressive video for a groovy tune. I like the atmosphere of the empty street with the neutral color palette. I think the casting is good, especially the girl, who really isn’t "pretty" or "sexy" as those are usually defined by music videos, but has an intriguing face (wholly appropriate to the lyrics). I absolutely love the simple editing tricks that make it look like a whole group of dancers can spontaneously explode from her body. If I could choose a superpower, that one would be high on the list.





“Pipe Dream” – Animusic

You may have already seen this in your e-mail Inbox, as it was passed around quite a bit (and even has its own Snopes entry - http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/musicmachine.asp). I think the popularity of this piece comes from the fact that it seems so darned plausible. That…and the fact that it’s just cool.




“Starship Groove” – Animusic

Another awesome video from the Animusic team. Not only is it a great tune, but I really like the idea of a ship sailing through the galaxies on no other mission than to boogie.




”Resonant Chamber” – Animusic

Last one from Animusic (though there are two DVDs worth, with a third on the way). The articulated parts of this machine remind me of H.R. Giger’s work, which I like as much as the tune. The Animusic team takes as much care with sound effects and atmosphere as they do with the central animations and the music, and that’s what makes these videos really pop.




”Bathroom” – The Umbilical Brothers

I found these guys after they showed up on Noggin as “The Upside Down Show,” which my three-year-old loves. Okay…I do too. They had an off-Broadway show called “Thwack” a few years ago, and have been doing this kind of comedy for about a decade now.




“Tap Dance” – The Umbilical Brothers

Another fun clip. The “brothers’” sketch comedy is well-planned, as they make use of camera perspective and physical effects to augment their physical efforts.




The Shining trailer remix

There are lots of these type of remixes floating around. Some are good, most are terrible. This is one of the first I saw, and is still one of the best (in my humble-yet-correct opinion).



Cello “Final Countdown”

Pure. Gold.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

The Umbilical Brothers are awesome! Check out their website at www.umbilicalbrothers.com.