Thursday, April 3, 2008

Something Doesn't Add Up

Twice today, I had to deal with folks in a retailer position that couldn't do basic math.

Twice.


Now, I already know that writing is an endangered skill (lol!!!1! U gots no skillz, WTF!!?), but it seems that arithmetic isn't too far behind. I called an office supply store to price out business cards.


"How much for 200?"


"Well, it's $0.16 a sheet, and there are ten per sheet. Uhh...let me get a calculator."


"So...$3.20."


(Tapping in background) "That's right. And we charge $6.00 to cut them, so that'll be..." (more tapping)


She offered to design the cards for me. I declined.


On the way home, I stopped at the minimart to pick up some ice cream cones for the family. The cashier scanned them and told me my total was $3.98. I handed her a twenty. Somehow, in between ringing my total and taking my money, she managed to add another $1.05 to the cost. The register told her to give me $14.97 in change, and she started counting it out.


"Uhhh...that's the wrong change."


"Huh? What do you mean?"


"My total was $3.98. You're counting out $14.97."


"Right."


"So I gave you a twenty."


"Right."


"Uhhh...no."


"Hold on. Let me find a calculator."


"It's $16.02."


"Huh?"


"$16.02. $3.98 from twenty is $16.02."


"But the register says $14.97."


"But $14.97 and $3.98 are only $18.95."


"Well I don't know. I've only worked here a week."


"..."


At that point, I was willing to take the $14.97, just to be able to leave, but I was rescued by her coworker, who apparently was the designated "math whiz."


In the spirit if not the letter of the post title:


My wife has this odd habit of randomly taking out boxes of mix - like bread, cake, or muffins - and leaving them on the counter. For days at a time, mind you. I leave them there at first, because I always think she's going to be baking the next day, but it never happens, and I eventually end up putting them back into the pantry. I've amused myself by coming up with wacky explanations for this behavior. My current favorite is that it's some sort of yeast-based feng shui.

1 comment:

ex-PFC Wintergreen said...

My favorite is when your item costs something like $4.77, you give the guy behind the counter $5.02 to get a quarter back, and he looks at your pennies like they're magic beans.