Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How Urban Legends Get Started

The pride was on its way back from stuffing Cub and Kitten insensible on cheap buffet pizza, cruising down the back roads in Mrs. Cat’s homeschool bus. I don’t usually drive the battle wagon because it’s a pain in the tail to adjust the seats and mirrors from Midget to Normal from Diminutive to Ordinary from Wee to Regular from Hobbit to Human to fit me (sorry, dear; please stop smacking my head).

Since I didn’t have to steer, and as the tactical situation required no evasive maneuvers or manning of the cannon, I got to look at the scenery as we drove around. I noticed a box truck parked in front of a house about a mile from our local hospital. The truck had obviously seen a lot of use, as evidenced by the sun-cracked upholstery and the rust-streaked side panels. A heavy lock was hanging from the roll door at the back, much newer and shinier than anything else on the truck. On the door of the cab, a magnetic sign was placed almost as an afterthought. It read:

National Kidney Foundation

And in much smaller letters:

Pick-Up Service

I don’t even want to know what jingle that thing plays as it cruises through the neighborhoods.

No comments: