Thursday, March 27, 2008

We now return to your regularly-scheduled blog, already in progress.


…and that’s how I ended up naked in the faculty swimming pool.

In other news, Life’s been burbling happily along in the ol’ Cat household. I’d like to apologize to all four of my readers for the extended absence, but I’ll try and make it up to y’all.

So what has your favorite feline been up to these last seven months? Lessee…

My division was recently purchased by our largest competitor. It’s been interesting to see which things got better, which remained static, and which got worse. I won’t go into details, because you never know who’s looking over your shoulder, but suffice it to say that it has reaffirmed my belief that anything done through a committee (or Management, or Congress, or…) is going to be self-contradicting, four times as expensive, and half as effective.

To that end, I’ve hung out a shingle for a freelance writing business. If I have to deal with asinine and random decisions anyway, I’d rather be the only one making them. So far, so good; I’ve gotten two paying jobs with just one e-mail conversation, and I anticipate a lot more when I really start pushing. Given the state of writing/editing these days, someone with a firm command of the English language should be able to find plenty of work. I thought about including links between this blog and my new website once it’s up, but I’d have to delete every post where I used the word ‘fuck’ (including this one, now), as that tends to put off serious inquiries.

I’ve also been working on a book. Yeah yeah – there’s not a self-styled writer alive that isn’t working on a book, but there you go. I’ve written slightly more than eighteen chapters out of an anticipated thirty, and gotten pretty good feedback on them. It’s approximately 36,000 words so far, and will probably end up being around 60,000, which just squeaks into novel-length. It’s fun, and it keeps my brain hot.

That’s why I’m resurrecting the blog. If you’re not writing, you can’t really claim to be a writer, and I’m always thinking of so many impossible things before breakfast that I need three or four outlets. Work lets me contribute ideas to support grand strategies; doing the freelance thing allows me to seek out stuff I’d really like to try; the book is my happy place; this blog is my pressure valve/catch-all.

So what can you, Faithful Reader, expect in the near future? I dunno. Whatever happens to flit across my brain, just like always. I’ve got some notes on various things pushed into dusty corners on my hard drive: why music won’t change the world, lolcat memes, what I’d do with a Powerball win, the deep-seated cultural significance of my hat, and why anyone holding an elected position can kiss my furry ass.

You know…Life.

1 comment:

Jalestra said...

"They" say the best way to get into writing is write, anything at all, as long as you write everyday. I've been trying to get back into since I had the baby myself LOL

Sure missed you and wondered where you'd been! Glad to see everything is well!